Monday, October 9, 2017

Chicken Methi


I am not working today because it's Columbus Day in the United States.  It is always nice to have a holiday, but I'm never sure what to do for Columbus Day.  


I don't have any traditions associated with this holiday.  I went on a short weekend trip this weekend to New Jersey, but we got back late last night, so I'm having a low key Columbus Day.

As I mentioned, a couple of friends and I went to New Jersey.  We did several things, but my favorite site was Thomas Edison's laboratory in West Orange, New Jersey.  He has another laboratory in Menlo Park, but this was his last laboratory.



We went to a Revolutionary War winter encampment site and an arts and craft museum as well.  Both were interesting.  Other than going to the beach, this is the first time I had visiting anything in New Jersey.  



There is no end to the places you can explore and see.  I was just made aware of an art museum in DC that I had never heard about before.


This chicken methi recipe is from a website called Genius Kitchen.  This is an Indian dish.  I replaced the cardamom pods with cardamom powder, because that is what I had on hand.  I also omitted the coriander leaves or cilantro.  This must be an English recipe because the chicken was in grams and the cilantro was listed and coriander leaves.


The ingredients for this recipe are 1.5 pounds chicken, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon cardamon powder, 1 tablespoon garam masala, 2 cups chopped onions, 2 tablespoons garlic paste, 2 tablespoon ginger paste, 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies, 1 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.  I used boneless chicken thighs.


I added the oil to a hot skillet.  I added the garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon cardamon powder, and bay leaves to the oil.  I sautéed the spices for a few minutes.





I added the chopped onion.  I cooked the onion for about seven minutes.  The onion softened and became translucent.


I added the chopped green chilies.  I used jalapeños.  I added the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and coriander.  I sautéed the onions and spices for a couple of minutes.  



I added the chopped chicken to the onion mixture.  I let this sautéed for about six minutes.


I added the yogurt and and let the chicken curry sauté for another seven minutes.


I added the dried fenugreek leaves, salt, and some water.  I let the curry simmer on a low heat for ten minutes.


I served this dish over rice.


It may not look like much, but it was very flavorful and delicious.


It has many scrumptious and savory flavors and spices.  The onions were tender, aromatic, and delectable.


 The chicken was sucullent, tender and mouthwatering.


The dish had warm and inviting spices.


The sauce was creamy and rich.


 Overall, it was a delectable dish.  The chicken was well cooked while the spices were appetizing and balanced.


 I would make this dish again.  It was a winner.




No comments: