Saturday, September 23, 2017

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken


Every year the local opera company performs and live streams the performance to the professional baseball field.  They call it Opera in the Outfield.  I have wanted to go for years.


This year I am finally going, and it is tonight.  It is one of those things that I think I need to go to but don't put into my calendar.  I'm the kind of person that if I don't make a set plan, it usually doesn't happen.

I think they even serve the baseball concessions during the performance.  It will be fun to watch Opera while eating a hotdog or nachos.  


This year they are performing Aida.  I have never seen it.  I have actually only seen one Opera before, and it was earlier this year.


This chicken recipe was made in a slow-cooker.  I have made a few great dishes in a slow-cooker, including chicken tinga, lamb tagine, butter chicken, beef barbacoa, honey mustard chicken, and chicken stew


This honey garlic chicken recipe came from a blog called Chef Savvy.  I made it as directed, but added more chicken and green onions.



The ingredients are 2 1/5 pounds chicken breast, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 4 minced garlic cloves, 6 scallions, and 1 tablespoon corn starch.


I whisked together the soy sauce, honey, and hoisin sauce.




 I whisked the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic into the same mixture.



I stirred the chopped green onions into the sauce.


I chopped the chicken into bit sized pieces.  I then poured the sauce over the chicken.  I cooked this on low in the slow cooker for a little over three hours.


After three hours, I made a slurry out of the cornstarch and water.  I poured that into the chicken.  I cooked the chicken on high for another 20 to 30 minutes.  I shredded the chicken with forks during this period.


I served this over sweet potato.  I garnished the chicken with additional chopped scallions.


 It was a scrumptious dish.  The flavors were sweet, savory, and a little briny.


I enjoy the deep, salty, and fish flavor of hoisin sauce.  I think it always made dishes particularly tasty.


The chicken was tender and aromatic.  


This chicken would have been tasty served over rice as well.  The original author suggests garnishing the dish with sesame seeds as well.


It was toothsome and filling.  It was really easy to make, and the results were terrific.

No comments: