Saturday, September 30, 2017

Cake Mix Banana Bread


I have gotten into the habit of mailing my nieces and nephews candy for major holidays.  I create little crafty bags or boxes.  Last year I made orange jack-o-lantarn bags full of candy for Halloween.  


For Christmas, I decorated boxes of Milk Dud's to look like snowmen.  I enjoy doing it.  It lets my nieces and nephew know that I am thinking about them.

It also helps me celebrate the holidays a little more.  Often holidays like Halloween or Easter will go by, and I don't do much to mark the occasion.  For the lats two Halloweens, I went out and ate pizza.  That's not very festive.


This weekend, I am crafting this years Halloween candy bags.  I'm making magical potion bags.  They are not too complicated.  I actually just had labels printed at FedEx.


Yesterday I went to a restaurant that served many times of tater tots.  It was a friend's suggestion.  They served chili cheese tots, putine tots, and buffalo chicken tots, among other types.  I ordered chili cheese tots.  

Compared to what my friends ordered, I made a good choice.  It's good when you don't regret your order when the waiter brings the dishes out to the table.



I found this cake mix banana bread recipe at Betty Crocker's website.  I added chocolate chips to the mix.  I also sprinkled the top with demerara sugar before baking the bread.  I used a spice cake mix.  



The ingredients are four bananas, 1 cake mix, 1/3 cup oil, 3 eggs, 2 cups chocolate chips, and demerara sugar.



I mashed the four bananas.  These came from my freezer so they are a little mushy.



I mixed the eggs and oil into the mashed bananas.


I mixed in the spice cake mix and then stirred in the chocolate chips.


I poured the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.  I made muffins with the remaining batter.


 I sprinkled the top of the loaf and muffins with a hearty layer of demerara sugar.


I baked the loaf for about 55 minutes at 350 degrees.  I baked the muffins for about 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.


After baking, I let the loaf and muffins cool completely.


This was tasty bread.  It was very sweet.  It was for all intents and purposes a cake without frosting.


The texture was tender and soft.


The cake was warm, aromatic and spice because I used a spice cake mix.  It has a desirable and yummy banana flavor.


The demerara sugar added additional sweetness and some delightful crunch.  It caramelized in the oven to make a tasty, crusty topping.


The chocolate chips were creamy, smooth, and rich.


I ate this bread with pear butter that I bought at a farmers market a couple of weeks ago.  The bread really didn't need any more sugar, but I have a serious sweet tooth.  It went well with the pear butter too.


 This was scrumptious bread, and it makes a great way to eat cake for breakfast.


 It was very quick and easy to make as well.


It was a fun recipe.  I would make it again.


No comments: