Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Cream of Wheat Pancakes with Chocolate Chips


I am in the processes of making plans to see the Harry Potter amusements are Universal Studios with my cousin.  I'm a Harry Potter fan.  I have read all the books on more than one occasion.



It is appropriate that I am going with my cousin because I waited in line with her to go see the first showing of one of the first Harry Potter movies in our hometown.  We went directly after school.  That was well over a decade ago.

The fourth book came out when I was in college.  I was on a study abroad in Puebla, Mexico.  I bough a copy at an English bookstore for about fifty percent more than it cost in the United States.


I proceeded to read the entire book in about two days.  I had my own bedroom at the time, complete with a blue, frilly bed cover, and I stayed up late into the night reading.


For the past few weeks, I have been eating cream of wheat when I'm not eating pancakes.  I eat my cream of wheat with peanut butter to make it more nourishing and delicious.  


I have made and eaten so many pancakes, that I'm surprised to see a version I haven't tried.  This is the first time I have eaten or made cream of wheat pancakes.


I found this pancake recipe on the cream of wheat website.  I added a half a cup of chocolate chips of course.  Chocolate chips are almost a required ingredient for pancakes.


The ingredients are 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cream of wheats, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 egg, 1 cup milk, 2 teaspoons oil, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.


I added the flour, cream of wheat, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon into a big bowl.  I whisked the dry ingredients together.






I added the oil, egg, and milk.  I whisked the batter together.



I stirred in the chocolate chips.


For each pancake, I added a third of a cup of batter to a hot and greased skillet over medium-high heat.


I flipped the pancakes when bubbles started forming near the center of the pancake.  I cooked the reverse side for a few minutes until it was golden brown.


These were good.  They where thick and hearty.  The flavor was tasty.


The texture was a little weird.  I re-read the recipe after making the pancakes, and I was supposed to let the batter sit for five minutes.  The texture did seem a little coarse.


Other then the texture, they were tasty.  They were fluffy and airy.


The chocolate was gooey, creamy, and melted.


 I added cinnamon, but I couldn't taste it.  If I make these again, I will at least double the amount of cinnamon.


 I would also let the batter rest for five minutes.  I bet that makes a noticeable difference.


Overall, these were delicious pancakes.  I have a weakness of pancakes, and these were satisfying.


No comments: