Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Coconut and Raspberry Chocolate Pancakes


Raspberry, chocolate, and coconut are a wonderful combination of flavors.  I don't think I have given this group of ingredients their proper due.  I deserve more of my attention.


Raspberries grow on perennial bushes.  They are usually planted during the winter as a cane.  They lay dormant until spring.  Raspberry flowers are a major source of nectar for honeybees.  


Russia provides 24 percent of the world's raspberries.  Poland, the United States, and Serbia are other large Raspberry producers.  They are a rich source of vitamin C, manganese, and dietary fiber.


I used a tried chocolate pancake recipe.  I have used it many times in the past.  I used this recipe to make Samoa pancakes, chocolate turtle pancakes, chocolate cherry pancakes, orange chocolate pancakes, and chocolate pancakes with toffee, pecans, and coconut, among many others.


I added raspberries, chocolate chips,  and coconut to the recipe to make it extra special.


The ingredients are 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, 1/2 cup raspberries, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.


I whisked together the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking soda.  I then whisked in the shredded coconut.






I combined the milk and melted butter.  I added the milk and butter to the dry ingredients.  I mixed in the milk, butter, and egg into the dry ingredients.



I mixed the raspberries and chocolate chips into the pancake batter.


I added a third of a cup of batter into a greased and hot skillet.


I cooked each pancake until small bubbles started to form in the center of the pancake.  I cooked the other side of each pancake for a few minutes until it was fully cooked.


I slathered these pancakes with greek yogurt.


Whipped cream and additional shredded coconut flakes would have been an even tastier topping.


These were great pancakes.  The chocolate pancake recipe can' be beat.


 They were tender, soft, and fluffy pancakes.


It has a rich and deep chocolate flavor.  


The shredded coconut added sweetness and delightful texture.   The chocolate chips were gooey and creamy.  The raspberries were tart and a little acidic.


 Overall, these were delightful pancakes.  They were decadent, scrumptious, and hearty.  I ate them with gusto.


No comments: