Monday, July 31, 2017

Yellow Lentil Dal


Another weekend came and flew by.  This summer is going by much too quickly.


I trying to be a little healthier this summer by biking to work more and eating healthier meals.  This lentil dal was tasty and good for my body.  I win all around.


I am a big fan of Indian food.  The spices and flavors are amazing.  Most of the recipes I have tries are easy to make. They are fairly healthy dishes too.




 

This yellow lentil dal recipe came from a blog called Vegetarian Times.  I made it as directed.



The ingredients are 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoons red chili flakes, 1 diced medium onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups yellow lentils, 2 cups chicken broth, and 1 teaspoon turmeric.  The original recipe used vegetable broth.


I added the oil into a hot pan over medium-high heat.  I added the cumin, red chili flakes, and diced onion.  I sautéed this for a few minutes.




I added the minced garlic and salt and sautéed the mixture for another few minutes.


I added the turmeric, lentils, and chicken broth.


I let this simmer for a while.  The recipe said to let it simmer for 25 minutes.  I let my dal simmer for closer to 40 minutes.  I liked the thicker texture I obtained after letting it simmer for 40 minutes.


I ate this with naan.


This was a toothsome dish.


 It was automatic and flavorful.  It packed a little heat too.


It was hearty and filling.  It had appetizing and warm spices.


It was nourishing and scrumptious.  


The list of ingredients is pretty simple.  It is made with many ingredients that are probably already in your pantry.


It was convenient and tasty.  What's not to like?  I would make it again.


No comments: